Dozens of families walked to honor the lives lost to fentanyl and to raise awareness of the drug.
To shed some light on this issue, three Austin moms organized a walk on Sunday to educate the public and raise awareness of the rising number of fentanyl overdose deaths.
“Our goal is to save a life,” said Carilu Bell, one of the organizers, who also lost her son to fentanyl.
Bell said her son died in October. He was 44 years old.
“My heart breaks even more for the mothers who lose their teens and their little children who really didn’t have a chance to live life,” she said.
Fentanyl is often added to other drugs because of its extreme potency, making drugs cheaper, stronger, more addictive, and more dangerous, the authorities say Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
Stephanie Turner, who also lost her 19-year-old son, said a fentanyl overdose was the leading cause of death for 18- to 45-year-olds.
“It’s added to all medicines,” she said. “I think it’s really important that people understand the dangers.”
Many people don’t know that the drugs they buy are laced with fentanyl, and the CDC said it’s almost impossible to tell if drugs have been spiked with these opioids unless they’re tested with fentanyl dipsticks.
“The mass production of this is unreal,” said Becky Stewart, who also lost her son to the opioid. “It’s awesome, super cheap and addictive. And our son’s death was nothing but doing business for these dealers.”
Earlier this year, Travis County and the city of Austin declared fentanyl a public health crisis and allocated more resources to stop overdose deaths. Part of this includes expanding access to harm reduction supplies and Narcan, the nasal spray that can reverse the symptoms of a potential overdose.
To reduce overdose deaths, the NICE project installed the city’s first Narcan vending machine. The Narcan is free and the vending machine is located at the Sunrise Navigation Center near Ben White Boulevard and Menchaca Road.
Local gourmet cookie shop in the running for HEB’s Quest for Texas Best
1 person hospitalized in crash at Parmer Lane and MoPac
Teenager killed in shooting outside Menchaca Road Friday night
https://www.kvue.com/article/news/local/pill-ended-lives-moms-raise-awareness-fentanyl/269-30db040e-2da4-414d-bbba-d6b4e7f54199 “A Pill That Ended Her Life”: Austin moms on a mission to raise awareness of the dangers of fentanyl