With the coronation of King Charles III. after the death of his mother, the order of the royal crown has shifted upwards.
LONDON, UNITED KINGDOM – That Death of Queen Elizabeth II at the age of 96 means her eldest son, Charles, Prince of Wales, is the new British king.
The palace announced she had died at Balmoral Castle, her summer residence in Scotland, where members of the royal family had rushed to her side after her health deteriorated.
Ahead of her platinum anniversary in 2022, Elizabeth expressed her “sincere wish” that Charles’ wife Camilla would be known as the “Queen Consort” when Charles ascended the throne. The request tied a loose end that had hung over the House of Windsor since Charles’ divorce from the beloved Princess Diana. It was also seen as an attempt to ensure a smooth transition.
Since she is not a member of the royal family by blood, Camilla has no claim to the throne and will not become queen if Charles dies or resigns. The same was true of Prince Philip when he was alive and married to Elizabeth.
What is the royal line of succession after Charles?
1. Prince William, Duke of Cambridge: First born child of Charles and Princess Diana.
2. Prince George: First born child of William and Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge
3. Princess Charlotte: second born child of William and Catherine.
4. Prince Louis: third born child of William and Catherine. Until a few years ago, Louis would have been ahead of Charlotte because male siblings were preferred regardless of birth date. The Succession to the Crown Act, passed in 2013, repealed this rule.
It’s a safe bet that no one below this point on the list will ever ascend the throne. William and his three children, grandchildren and so on would either have to die or give up their right to the monarchy. The renunciation of the throne has only happened once in history. And once George becomes a father, his children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren will all precede Charlotte in the line of succession.
5. Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex: second child of Charles and Diana. Although he and his wife Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, stepped down from royal duties and moved to the United States in 2020, Harry remains in the line of succession.
6. Archie: Harry and Meghan’s firstborn child.
7. Lilibet “Lili” Diana: Second born child of Harry and Meghan.
8. Prince Andrew, Duke of York: third child of Queen Elizabeth II. He takes this place ahead of his older sister, Princess Anne, who was born before the 2013 Succession Act.
9. Princess Beatrice: first child of Prince Andrew.
10. Sienna Elizabeth Mapelli Mozzi: Daughter of Beatrice and her husband Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi
11. Princess Eugenie: second child of Prince Andrew.
August 12 Philip: Son of Princess Eugenie and husband Jack Brooksbank
13. Prince Edward, Earl of Wessex: fourth child of Queen Elizabeth II
14. James, Viscount Severn: second child of Prince Edward. Since his older sister was born before the 2013 Succession Act, he takes that seat.
15. Lady Louise Mountbatten-Windsor: first child of Prince Edward
16. Princess Anne, The Princess Royal: second child of Queen Elizabeth II
17. Peter Phillips: Princess Anne’s first child
18. Savannah Phillips: first child of Peter and Autumn Phillips
19. Isla Phillips: second child of Peter and Autumn Phillips
20. Zara Tindall: second child of Princess Anne
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
https://www.kvue.com/article/news/nation-world/new-king-of-england/507-f0339f06-d8f6-4258-89bd-653d5f5c1f3e Age of Queen Elizabeth children: who is next in line for the throne?