Box Office Shakeup as Top Gun: Maverick Takes No. 1 on Labor Day Weekend
The top 4 titles are in a whole new order after a $3 Saturday wildcard.
“Top Gun: Maverick” (Paramount) regained first place at the Labor Day weekend box office. In fact, as we alluded to in our Sunday recap, the first four appear to be in a whole new order.
It’s usually easy to extrapolate Sunday’s results from Friday-Saturday numbers, but the $3 National Cinema Day sale meant no one was sure which films benefited most from the low prices. The new order is Top Gun: Maverick #1, Bullet Train (Sony) #2 (previously #4), Spider-Man: No Way Home (Sony) #3 (previously #4). 1), “DC League of Pets” (Warner Bros.) #4 (formerly #3).
Exact figures and distributor confirmations are still pending, but “Maverick” and “Bullet” both performed better than expected on Sunday, while “No Way Home” and “DC” underperformed.
Studio estimates for the four-day weekend show the same order. These should hold up.
©Sony Pictures/Courtesy Everett Collection
This reversal of the original order is unprecedented, and included a gross overestimate of Sony’s “No Way Home.” The re-release with new footage was at No. 1 on Friday but dropped to No. 2 on Saturday.
For Maverick, it’s a win on multiple fronts. A return to No. 1 in week 15 is a rare feat. Included with the film is the #1 PVOD film on home platforms. And it comes as the film hits the $700 million mark in domestic gross.
Sources also point out that total business for the three days surpassed the initial figure of $52 million. If so, it suggests that the momentum of Saturday’s eight million ticket buyers, most at $3, will carry over to the next day.
Here are the current top 10, with details and explanations to be added as all distributors provide final results. Further changes in the ranking are possible.
- Top Gun: Maverick (Parent) Week 15; Last Weekend #4 – Revised Gross: $6,000,000
- fast train (Sony) Week 5; Last Weekend #2 – Revised Gross: $5,715,000
- Spider-Man: No Way Home (Sony) (Reissue) – Revised gross: $5,375,000
- DC League of Super Pets (WBD) week 6; Last Weekend #6 – Revised Gross: $5,045,000
- The invitation (Sony) week 2; Last weekend: #1
- animal (Universal) Week 3; Last weekend #3
- Minions: The Rise of Gru (Universal) Week 10; Last weekend #8; also on PVOD
- Thor: Love and Thunder (Disney) week 9; Last weekend #9
- Jaw (Universal) REISSUE
- Dragon Ball Super: Superhero (Crunchyroll) Week 3; Last weekend #5
Registration: Stay up to date on the latest movie and TV news! Sign up for our email newsletter here.
https://www.indiewire.com/2022/09/box-office-shakeup-top-gun-maverick-labor-day-weekend-1234758624/ Box Office Shakeup as Top Gun: Maverick Takes No. 1 on Labor Day Weekend