GOOD Morning British fans have criticized Richard Madeley for having the “sensitivity of a brick” during an interview with the son of a Hamas kidnap victim.
GMB presenter Madeley was criticized for his questioning of Noam Sagi this morning, whose 75-year-old mother Ada Sagi remains held captive by Hamas.
Noam is asking the government for help in her release after she was among the Israeli hostages captured by terrorists earlier this month.
He spoke to ITV’s GMB this morning but viewers were unimpressed with Madeley’s approach.
The breakfast show host highlighted footage of another hostage, 85-year-old Yocheved Lifshitz, after her release.
She was seen shaking hands with her captors and wishing “peace” to a Hamas fighter – even though her husband is still a hostage.
Madeley asked Mr Sagi if it “comforted” him to hear the hostages were given some food and water.
And he suggested that the prisoners received “relatively adequate treatment,” although Yocheved said they were “beaten.”
Richard opened the interview by asking Noam: “Were you comforted by the seemingly relatively sensible treatment of the hostages?
“According to their report, they are being fed, they are eating the same food as their captors, they have been given water.
“Apart from the fact that I think she said she was beaten when she was taken to the tunnels where she was held, the treatment afterwards does not appear to have been inappropriate – did that comfort you when you think of yours Mother think?”
Noam paused before answering, “Richard, we wouldn’t be having this conversation if there were the good guys on the other side.
“That wouldn’t be the case, you wouldn’t be talking to me now.”
He added that “every little bit helps” but was then asked by co-host Kate Garraway to elaborate on his feelings about the conditions.
He replied, “Who comes to someone’s home – 80, 70, 90 years old, nine months old, three years old, shoots them in the limbs and drags them out of bed into captivity?”
“And then we talk about conditions.
“I don’t want to have a conversation about the conditions, I want my mother back.
“I’m a son – you as a parent just think about what that means when someone has to fight for your life and you don’t know it for 19 days.
“So the conversation should first focus on why we are talking, and that is my message.”
Richard then told him: “I think that’s a completely reasonable view and completely understandable.”
Ben O’Hare wrote on X, formerly Twitter: “Richard Madeley, further proof of how to conduct interviews with the sensitivity of a brick.”
Andy Rees wrote: “Richard Madeley is back.
“I was interviewing the son of an Israeli hostage and actually asked, ‘Does the released hostages’ statement that they are receiving some food and water comfort you?’
Geoff Walker took to GMB’s X account and asked: “Why are you allowing Richard Madeley to do an interview when he’s clearly not listening to the guest?”
“His questions are horrific.”
Another poster, Laura, called on GMB to “gag Richard Madeley”.
She added: “You don’t ask the son of a hostage, ‘Are you happy with their treatment, apart from the fact that your mother was beaten when they kidnapped her?’
“Honestly, I’m amazed he’s still on the air.”
And Lee Partridge wrote: “Richard Madeley has no presentation filter.
“Sometimes he just blurts things out without thinking about what he wants to say.”
Richard was previously criticized and later apologized after asking British-Palestinian Liberal Democrat MP Layla Moran whether her family in Gaza knew about the terror attack in advance.
Since starting work as an assistant presenter on GMB in 2017, he has been embroiled in a number of controversies.
The Sun Online has contacted ITV for comment.
Mr. Sagi, 53, recounted his fears for his mother, the retired school principal, after she was kidnapped on October 7 when Hamas terrorists stormed Kibbutz Nir Oz near the Gaza border.
The family spoke to her on the phone that morning, hearing about her despair over the Hamas attack, before the call went silent.
He later saw footage of the Israeli army recapturing the kibbutz, showing his mother’s empty and bloodstained house.
He told GMB today: “That really made my heart sink.”
“I was hoping for good news, but I had a really bad feeling.”
Mr Sagi grew up on the kibbutz before moving to the UK 22 years ago, where he works as a physiotherapist in Hampstead, north London.
Read more on the Irish Sun
Meanwhile, a senior Hamas commander who was behind a heinous massacre that left more than 100 people dead at Be’eri Kibbutz on October 7 has been killed.
Abed Alrahman, deputy commander of the Nuseirat Battalion, was hit by an airstrike yesterday, the Israeli army said.