Hero Pet Dog Saves Family From Christmas Eve Fire

A dog is being hailed as a hero after reportedly saving a family from a house fire on Christmas Eve.

The incident happened in the early hours of Saturday morning in Bardonia, New York, a town in Rockland County about 35 miles north of New York City. Around 1:30 a.m., homeowner Stephanie Mulhall said her family’s dog started scratching at her bedroom door. When she went to see what the problem was, she immediately noticed smoke permeating the house.

“About … 1:35 to 1:40 our dog started scratching on our door,” Mulhall told News 12. “We just thought she needed to get out because she’s not sleeping with us. She sleeps downstairs and as soon as I opened the door I took in fumes. And as soon as my husband went down the stairs, he saw the house on fire.”

Thanks to the dog’s warning, the family was able to wake their children and get out of the burning house before their smoke alarms even went off. Mulhall called 911 as soon as possible, prompting firefighters from agencies in Nanuet, New City, West Nyack and Pearl River to arrive and bring the fire under control.

Dog saves family from house fire
Dogs are seen in front of a Christmas tree, inset, a house fire. A family’s dog is celebrated as a hero after waking up a family and warning them of a house fire on Christmas Eve.
Chandan Khanna; David McNew/AFP via Getty Images; Getty Images

“[The children] screamed and cried because the fire alarms were loud,” added Mulhall. “They were both scared. The big one jumped right out of bed, I carried the baby down the stairs because he was very scared.”

Clarkstown Police Department officers told News 12 that the home was ruled uninhabitable, although the fire was brought under control and no one was injured. The fire inspector involved in the case currently assumes that the fire was started outside the house.

In response to their plight so close to Christmas, the family said they received significant support from their community, receiving donations of clothes, shoes, hats, scarves and Christmas gifts for their children. A GoFundMe page was also set up to support the family of a close friend, Traci Cohen. As of Sunday afternoon, it has raised nearly $32,000, well above its $20,000 goal.

“Family dog ​​Chloe scratched at the bedroom door to warn the family of a fire overnight while everyone lay asleep in bed and essentially saved the entire family!” Cohen wrote on the donation page. “Right now this family needs the support of the community more than anything. As it is a day before Christmas and she has lost everything necessary like clothes for all members, some Christmas gifts for the children and everything they need to settle down. I hope GoFundMe can get the community’s help to provide for this young family!”

news week contacted Clarkstown Police for comment.

https://www.newsweek.com/hero-pet-dog-saves-family-christmas-eve-fire-1769577 Hero Pet Dog Saves Family From Christmas Eve Fire

Rick Schindler

World Time Todays is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – admin@worldtimetodays.com. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button