Hydration, heat sickness and protection from humid, hot weather ahead of summer

COLUMBUS, Ga. (WRBL) — With temperatures hovering in the 80s and 70s all week and summer just around the corner, staying safe in the hot weather is critical. The National Weather Service reports that high heat can lead to mild to severe problems such as heat cramps, heat exhaustion and heat stroke.

With temperatures exceeding 80 degrees and humidity above 40 percent, the National Weather Service advises extreme caution for prolonged exposure to these conditions or engaging in strenuous outdoor activities.

“As the temperature rises, our body’s metabolism also increases, resulting in an increase in our breathing rate,” said Dr. Daryl Ellis, Piedmont Columbus Area General Practitioner. He said: “With every exhalation we lose a small amount of liquid in the form of water vapour. The higher the temperatures, the faster the breathing, the more significant this form of dehydration becomes.”

One way to mitigate this loss of fluids is to drink water. Accordingly UnityPoint Health, Water should be the main drink for hydration as opposed to an electrolyte sports drink. The website recommends using such products during high-intensity exercise that lasts more than an hour.

Insufficient fluid intake can lead to heat illness with heat cramps, heat exhaustion and heat stroke. According to the National Weather ServiceThese states arise when the body is unable to cool down effectively and/or has lost fluid or salt through sweating or dehydration. Heat cramps and fatigue can be treated at home by staying hydrated and in a cooler environment. However, the National Weather Service warns against seeking medical attention symptoms each last more than an hour.

For heat cramps and fatigue, Ellis says it’s important to drink isotonic fluids like Gatorade, Powerade, and Pedialyte to rehydrate quickly.

Ellis pointed out that heat stroke is a serious condition that requires immediate attention if it occurs.

“If symptoms of [heat stroke, including] If confusion, decreased alertness and severe muscle spasms occur, this has become an emergency situation and emergency intervention is required,” the doctor said.

Groups most vulnerable to heat include those who work outdoors, athletes, pregnant women, children and more, according to reports HEAT.gov. Parents in particular should pay attention to their children’s activities in hot weather, as their bodies regulate themselves less efficiently than adults and they often lack the knowledge to protect themselves, the website says.

tweets According to the Atlanta branch of the National Weather Service, as of the morning of May 17, 2022, there were 33 deaths from heat stroke among children left in vehicles when children were left in hot cars noheatstroke.org. The tweet said that an average of 38 children die each year because they are left unattended in cars, with 88 percent under the age of three and more than one in two children dying because a caregiver has forgotten them. Noheatstroke.org warns against leaving children alone in a vehicle with others Security Recommendations.

To minimize the effects of the heat, Ellis advised people to take frequent breaks outdoors and stay hydrated before, during and after outdoor activities. He also had a counterintuitive recommendation for clothing: wear a hat and long sleeves.

“It seems a little contradictory, but the less your skin is exposed to the sun, the actually cooler your body is and the less likely you are to develop dehydration and/or heat stroke,” Ellis said.

The CDC recommends drinking 8 ounces of water every 15-20 minutes when working outside in the heat. However, it also warns that consuming more than 48 fluid ounces of fluid per hour is dangerous. The CDC also recommends drinking the water slowly over a period of time, rather than just once, for more effective hydration.

In general, Piedmont Columbus Regional recommended in a press release that women should consume about 92 ounces of fluids per day and men should consume 124 ounces of fluids. This figure takes into account liquids from food and drink in addition to the water usually consumed. The press release states that about 20 percent of the water people consume comes from food, while the remaining 80 percent comes from beverages.

Related Articles

Back to top button