Man accused of smashing up a McDonald’s in NYC with an ax released without bail: ‘My intention was not to hurt anyone’

The man who allegedly caused thousands of dollars in damage and terrorized several late-night patrons at a New York McDonald’s has been released without bail.

According to the criminal complaint, Michael Palacios, 31, smashed various surfaces and two panes of glass with an ax at around 2:30 a.m. local time Friday morning at a McDonald’s in the Lower East Side.

Video of the incident, which has since gone viral, shows Palacios was frustrated when a woman there “refused” his advances. The man who filmed the video, Uber Eats delivery man Ruben G, told dem New York Post“Well, basically he had a fight with a girl and then the girl rejected him. She didn’t want to talk to him. He continued to respond to her.”

As Palacios continued to harass the woman, several men rose to intercede on her behalf. The men tried to restrain Palacios, who then turned his aggression on them. The men then hit him on the head a few times in retaliation, although Palacios himself appeared unaffected by the attack. As the men retreated, Palacios reached into his backpack and pulled out what he called a “tomahawk‘ and began smashing a few tables, including the one where the unidentified woman he had previously attacked was sitting.

He also smashed a glass partition and hit one of the men on the head. Palacios, a messenger, then got his bicycle and rode away. The police arrested him shortly thereafter.

“The suspect intentionally caused property damage to the facility,” police said speaker said. “The individual was taken into custody by responding officers. [During a] Search incident led to a lawful arrest, another knife was recovered from his backpack. The victims reported no injuries.”

Prosecutors have charged Palacios with fourth-degree criminal mischief and possession of a gun, both of which do not qualify for bail in New York state, where criminal laws are lax.

Republican gubernatorial candidate Lee Zeldin has condemned the criminal justice reform measures that put Palacios back on the streets without bail.

“This guy chopped up tables and walls at McDonald’s, swung his cleaver wildly at customers, and got released before his fries got cold,” Zeldin joked. “The cashless bail in New York must be lifted as soon as possible!”

Palacios has since spoken to reporters to offer his version of events.

“My intention was not to hurt anyone,” Palacios said. “My intention wasn’t to put anyone in the hospital or to dice anyone.

“The reason I pulled the hatchet was, ‘Ok, I’m going to get my revenge on these guys,'” Palacios continued. “‘I’ll make sure they don’t jump at me again.'”

Palacios admitted he had been drinking earlier that night and that a security guard at McDonald’s wouldn’t let him use the bathroom.

He said he did not want to see the other men involved in the altercation charged with a crime.

“You don’t have to be in jail for a lesson,” he said. “I hope the fear they felt that night is enough to never attack anyone again.”

https://www.theblaze.com/news/man-accused-of-smashing-up-a-nyc-mcdonald-s-with-an-ax-released-without-bail-my-intentions-were-not-to-hurt-anyone Man accused of smashing up a McDonald’s in NYC with an ax released without bail: ‘My intention was not to hurt anyone’

Laura Coffey

World Time Todays is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – admin@worldtimetodays.com. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button