Musk holds a Twitter poll deciding whether to resign

“Sorry. Won’t happen again,” Musk tweeted, before launching a new 12-hour poll asking if he should step down as Twitter boss.

WASHINGTON — Elon Musk is urging Twitter users to decide whether to keep him in charge of the social media platform after admitting he made a mistake on Sunday when he introduced new language restrictions that prevented mentions of competing social -Media sites banned.

In another drastic policy change, Twitter had announced that users would no longer be able to link to Facebook, Instagram, Mastodon and other platforms, which the company described as “banned.”

But the move immediately drew so much criticism, including from former defenders of Twitter’s new billionaire, that Musk vowed not to make any more major policy changes without an online poll of users.

“Sorry. Won’t happen again,” Musk tweeted, before launching a new 12-hour poll asking if he should step down as Twitter boss. “I’ll stand by the results of this poll. “

The incident was Musk’s latest attempt to take action against certain statements after he shut down a Twitter account tracking his private jet’s flights last week.

Banned platforms included mainstream websites like Facebook and Instagram, and emerging rivals Former President Donald Trump’s Mastodon, Tribel, Nostr, Post and Truth Social. Twitter didn’t provide an explanation as to why the blacklist included those seven sites but not others like Parler, TikTok, or LinkedIn.

Twitter had announced that it would at least temporarily ban accounts containing the blocked websites on their profile – a practice so widespread that it would have been difficult to enforce the restrictions on millions of Twitter users around the world. Not only links, but attempts to circumvent the ban by writing “instagram dot com” could have resulted in a ban, the company said.

One of the test cases was prominent Silicon Valley venture capitalist Paul Graham, who had praised Musk in the past but on Sunday told his 1.5 million Twitter followers that it was the “last straw” and finding him on Mastodon . His Twitter account was promptly suspended and restored shortly thereafter when Musk vowed to reverse the policy put in place just hours earlier.

Musk said Twitter will continue to suspend some accounts under the policy, but “only if that account’s (asterisk) primary (asterisk) purpose is to advertise competitors.”

Twitter previously took action to block links to Mastodon after its main Twitter account tweeted about the @ElonJet controversy last week. Mastodon has grown rapidly in recent weeks as an alternative for Twitter users unhappy with Musk’s overhaul of Twitter since he bought the company for $44 billion in late October and began restoring accounts that flouted the rules the previous Twitter leadership violated hateful behavior and others harms.

Musk permanently suspended the @ElonJet account on Wednesday and then changed Twitter’s rules to prohibit sharing someone’s current location without their consent. He then targeted journalists who wrote about the jet-tracking account, which can still be found on other sites like Mastodon, Facebook, Instagram and Truth Social, claiming that they were “basically broadcasting coordinates of assassinations.”

He used that to justify Twitter’s moves last week Block accounts of numerous journalists covering the social media platform and Musk, including reporters working for The New York Times, Washington Post, CNN, Voice of America, and other publications. Many of these accounts have been recovered following an online poll conducted by Musk.

Then, over the weekend, The Washington Post’s Taylor Lorenz became the youngest journalist to be temporarily banned from Twitter.

Lorenz said she and another Post-Tech reporter were researching for an article on Musk. She had tried to communicate with the billionaire, but the attempts went unanswered, so she attempted to contact him on Saturday, posting a message on Twitter tagging Musk and requesting an interview.

Sally Buzbee, editor-in-chief of the Washington Post, said in a written statement Sunday that “the arbitrary suspension of another Post journalist further undermines Elon Musk’s claim that he intends to operate Twitter as a platform for free speech.”

“Again, the suspension came without warning, trial or explanation – this time our reporter simply solicited comment from Musk for a story,” Buzbee said. By midday Sunday, Lorenz’s account was restored, as was the tweet she believed triggered her suspension.

Musk’s promise to let users decide his future role at Twitter through an unscientific online poll seemed to come out of nowhere on Sunday, although he also promised in November that a restructuring would take place soon.

Musk was questioned in court on Nov. 16 about how he divides his time between Tesla and his other companies, including SpaceX and Twitter. Musk was required to testify in the Delaware Court of Chancery’s trial over a shareholder’s challenge to Musk’s potential $55 billion compensation plan as CEO of the electric car company.

Musk said he never intended to be CEO of Tesla, nor did he want to be CEO of another company, preferring to see himself as an engineer. Musk also said he expects an organizational reorganization of Twitter to be completed in the next week or so. It’s been over a month since he said that.

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/nation-world/musk-polls-twitter-about-whether-he-should-step-down/507-8cca25d3-cbf1-4cff-9246-55e59211aba3 Musk holds a Twitter poll deciding whether to resign

Laura Coffey

World Time Todays is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – admin@worldtimetodays.com. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button