Any way you cut it, Nick DiGiovanni knows how to take a dish to the next level.
For DiGiovanni, 27, there’s something nostalgic about a delicious sandwich — and nothing beats a BLT. “Grow up, [it] was one of my favorites that my mother made,” he reveals exclusively in the latest issue of Us weekly. “She kept it simple – a nice spread of mayonnaise, toasted bread, crisp lettuce and a few good, thick slices of tomatoes. I just increased it a little bit.”
The Master chef alum — who was a finalist on Season 10 of the FOX cooking series — shares his recipe for the beloved classic in his new cookbook. Knife Drop: Creative Recipes Anyone Can Cook. Published in June, the easy-to-follow beginner’s guide features a delicious selection of DiGiovanni’s favorite recipes, including brown butter lobster rolls, garlic butter steak tips, and smoky mezcal rigatoni. He even recreates some of his biggest fan favorites, like his Viral Pasta Chips and Dino Nuggets.
His delicious take on the BLT – which includes the perfect, unexpected addition of chicken strips – is sure to be his next sensation.
“I love this version because each ingredient is individually seasoned and treated with great care,” he says Us. “Try it, you will be happy!”
Read on for DiGiovanni’s classic BLT recipe:
8 thick slices of heirloom tomatoes [es?]
Freshly ground pepper
4 thick slices of sourdough bread
2 tablespoons mayonnaise, plus more to taste
4 tbsp unsalted butter
4 strips of bacon, cooked and finely chopped
4 leaves of baby romaine lettuce
10 pieces of crispy chicken skins
1. Place the tomato slices in a single layer on a work surface and season with salt and pepper.
2. Using a pastry brush, lightly brush one side of each slice of bread with mayonnaise, about 1/2 tablespoon per slice.
3. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Place a slice of bread, mayonnaise side down, in the pan and toast for five to six minutes or until golden brown. Repeat the process with the remaining slices.
4. Using a pastry brush, brush the untoasted side of the bread with a thin layer of mayonnaise. Add some chopped bacon to help it stick to the mayonnaise.
5. Place two leaves of romaine lettuce on top of the bacon. Add four tomato slices and top with some crispy chicken skins. Top with a slice of bread, toasted side up. Repeat the process with the other sandwich. Serve immediately.