Philadelphia shooting: Gunmen ambush football players near Roxborough High School; 1 dead, 4 injured

PHILADELPHIA (WPVI) — Crime scene investigators and firefighters continue to survey the area around Roxborough High School in Philadelphia, a day after two gunmen ambushed five teenage football players and killed one.

The victim who died has been identified as 14-year-old Nicholas Elizalde of Havertown, Delaware County.

The city of Philadelphia will provide an update on this shooting during a news conference at 1:15 p.m. ET, which you can see above.

The incident happened around 4:30 p.m. Tuesday at the 4700 block of Pechin Street, as a junior football game between three schools ended: Roxborough High School, Northeast High School and Boys Latin Charter School.

The Philadelphia School District’s Emergency Crisis Response Team and a team of social workers and counselors arrived at all affected schools on site Wednesday.

Investigators say the five players walked off the field as two gunmen fired dozens of shots from a gray Ford Explorer.

According to police, 64 shots were fired with four different weapons.

Officials placed eight evidence markers at the back of the school on Wednesday morning while the investigation continued.

Investigators tell Action News they recovered three bullets that hit the school’s windows, including one that went inside.

Police say Elizalde was shot in the chest. He was taken to Einstien Medical Center, where he died from his injuries.

Three victims remain in stable condition at area hospitals: a 17-year-old man who was shot in the right arm and leg; a 14-year-old man shot in the left thigh; and hit a 15-year-old man in the left leg.

A fifth player, a 14-year-old man, suffered a abrasion to his right ankle and was treated at the scene.

Police say all of the victims played football for Roxborough High School.

Sources tell 6abc that the 14-year-old who was killed was a student at nearby Saul High School of Agricultural Sciences. Although the school does not have a football team, students are allowed to cooperate and play with Roxborough High.

Investigators and county officials were still trying to find out exactly where all the victims went to school, even though they played football for Roxborough.

Alex Torres’ younger brother is one of the teenagers listed in stable condition. Torres said he learned about the shooting from his stepmother.

“I was at work and received a call from my stepmother saying my little brother had been shot. I rushed here as soon as possible,” he recalled. “My little brother is 14 and just hearing about him being shot is the worst feeling in the world.”

Panic during the shots

Bud Rigner’s ninth grader son was surrounded by gunfire when the shots rang out on Tuesday.

“He’s up there in his room crying in panic hysteria because he was in the middle of it,” Rigner said.

Chase Gallagher was sitting in an adjacent park when he heard the gunshots.

“I ran down the hill for a bit but then I didn’t see anything so I was just chilling,” Gallagher said.

According to the police, the perpetrators fled on foot after the shooting.

Investigators have not released a description of the shooters or a possible motive.

Anyone with information is asked to call the police at 215-686-TIPS.

school statement

Some of the teenagers who took part in football scrimmage are students at the Boys Latin Charter School.

The West Philadelphia school says it is devastated by the incident.

Boys’ Latin has been tragically heavily influenced by gun violence in recent years.

Six boys Latin students have been killed in shootings since 2016.

The explanation was:

“Boys’ Latin of Philadelphia is devastated by the gun violence that plagues our school and wider communities. Today, the Boys’ Latin High School football team harassed Roxborough High School, prompting another senseless shooting. Our school stands the Our thoughts are firmly on the victims of today’s shooting. We mourn the loss of these students, their families and coaches and the entire Roxborough High School community and stand with them. While no members of the Boys Latin School community were physically hurt, the emotional toll is growing this tragedy will continue for a long time. permanently.

We mourn the loss of life and the loss of the ability to feel safe and secure in our city. Far too many boy Latin students have been denied this basic right. Your teammates, friends, families, teachers and neighbors too. The school is asking the city to take action. Boys Latin students and their peers throughout Philadelphia deserve safe, healthy communities where they can play, learn, and fulfill their potential.”

City officials speak out

School officials have expressed outrage at the violence at a school known throughout the community as a safe place. Officials discussed the possibility of increasing police patrols during battles and drills.

“Certainly unacceptable gun violence like this doesn’t help. That’s why we always wonder how the kids are doing and quite frankly a lot of our kids aren’t doing well,” said Superintendent Tony Watlington.

The deadly shooting came just a day after Philadelphia hit its 400th homicide of the year.

According to the city, 174 children have been shot so far this year as of Monday; 23 killed. This data was collected prior to the Roxborough shooting.

At the same time last year, 157 children were shot; 27 killed.

“We have the same conversations every day. I don’t know who’s missing the conversation, but we just have to do as much as we can,” Assistant Commissioner John Stanford said of the city’s gun violence.

SEE ALSO: Gun Violence Rise: Philadelphia hits 400 homicides for the year

District Attorney Larry Krasner was at the scene Tuesday and was asked if aggressively pursuing gunmen was the solution.

“Penalties for gun possession are longer in Philadelphia than in any other category of city. Longer sentences are being handed out here, longer than the rest of the state, but that hasn’t stopped. Not only do we have to work on modern enforcement, but we have to do everything we can to prevent something like this from happening again,” Krasner said.

This deadly shooting happened not long after Mayor Jim Kenney issued an executive order banning firearms from recreational areas and amenities.

“There are no words for what happened tonight. Another young life was cut short and others hurt by unnecessary violence. Tonight, a family will begin to grapple with the loss of their loved one. My deepest condolences to them. I’ll say it again: Schools, recreation centers and public spaces need to be safe places,” Kenney said in a series of tweets.

eagles react

News of high school football players being shot in Philadelphia reached NFL players.

Eagles wide receiver AJ Brown tweeted, “This breaks my heart. My heart goes out to the children involved and to the one who lost his life. We have to do better. We gotta protect our kids man.”

Offensive tackle Lane Johnson said: “It has to stop! I pray for these children, their families, & their teammates. Sport should be a safe haven.”

Copyright © 2022 WPVI-TV. All rights reserved.

https://6abc.com/philadelphia-high-school-shooting-roxborough-teenager-killed-football-players/12274688/ Philadelphia shooting: Gunmen ambush football players near Roxborough High School; 1 dead, 4 injured

Laura Coffey

World Time Todays is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – admin@worldtimetodays.com. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button