Prince Andrew plans to write “Spare 2.0” Reveal-All memoir
Welcome to this week’s edition of royalist, The Daily Beast’s newsletter for all things king and royal family. Subscribe to Here to get it in your inbox every Sunday.
Andrew plans to tell everything
Prince Andrew is speaking with American authors about getting help writing his autobiography, sources say post on Sunday expected”spare part 2.0″ – a nod to Prince Harry’s dish-filled reveal. Andrew appears to be looking to “set the record straight” after the aftermath of his association with pedophile Jeffrey Epstein left him with no public royal role and a dire reputation.
Two weeks ago we reported that Andrew was considering writing a memoir and a source told us: “It’s been talked about regularly. Sarah (Ferguson, his ex-wife) has had great success with her books and has great publishing contacts. Harry’s book proved that stories about royalty don’t lack an appetite. Why shouldn’t Andrew tell his side of the story now that his mother is gone?”
Last year, Andrew paid millions of dollars to Virginia Roberts Giuffre in an out-of-court settlement; Giuffre claims Andrew sexually assaulted her three times when she was a minor and was sexually trafficked by Epstein. Andrew strongly denied the claims, and every treatise will surely have his side of the story (lawyers, prepare yourself), although one would also think King Charles would want Andrew to stop bringing shame and embarrassment to his own door and shut that of the palace in general. For Andrew, the bill is likely to be much more brutal: he has nothing left to lose.
A source said: “Andrew was the original spare and there is a lot of material. Compared to Harry, he has a far greater history to draw from. Writing a book would give him an opportunity to fully explain his connection to Jeffrey Epstein and the conflicts that ensued. But it would also be a fascinating insight into the inner workings of royals and their relationships.”
“Everyone close to him tells him it’s a stupid idea and he should just forget about it.”
— Royal insider
There’s one more phrase that’s likely to strike fear into Charles’ heart after Harry’s relentless dirty royal laundry is washed and aired spare part.
In fact, an insider said that sun on Sunday: “Everyone close to him tells him it’s a stupid idea and he should just forget about it.”
Biographer Daphne Barak is one name rumored to be linked to the project, although the newspaper says she is working on another royal book. Two “leading publishers” are said to be interested – good news for Andrew, as another motive is said to be money. He has told friends he was left with no inheritance when his mother, Queen Elizabeth, died and may have to leave his home at Royal Lodge unless he can raise the money for much-needed repairs.
A source said post on Sunday: “Andrew needs to find ways to make money and support himself. It would be a great effort to leave the Royal Lodge. But above all he wants to set the record straight. If he doesn’t change the narrative, no one else will.”
Expect more Royal Monopoly
King Charles’ latest moves in the grand game of royal monopoly – kicking Harry and Meghan out of Frogmore Cottage while giving Andrew the boot out of the palatial estate Royal Lodge – are “just the beginning” of savings he will impose on his family’s part of a five-year modernization plan, with a briefing for aid workers: “The King is not a housing association for distant relatives.”
The comments were addressed to Charles’ biographer, Robert Jobson, who writes for the evening standard.
Jobson reports that Vice Admiral Sir Tony Johnstone-Burt, Master of the Household, and Keeper of the Privy Purse Sir Michael Stevens, who holds the royal purses, will be responsible for enacting the changes – while Queen Camilla “the Oversight controls the fine detail,” says Jobson.
A particular target of the new cuts is said to be members of the extended royal family, who will receive subsidized palace accommodation and then let their children use the flats as ‘London Pads’.
The source said: “Over time, that will change. In the future, the properties will be rented out at standard prices and to people outside the family. Where it is in a palace setting, they will of course be subject to security screening… Many practices that have evolved over the last reign will change. The king is not heartless or ruthless, but if the family members are not part of the nuclear family and do not work for the crown, then it is fair for them to shelter and finance themselves.”
It’s not just family that can be found on their ear. Angela Kelly, the late Queen’s dresser, is one of those facing the boot, as we share below.
The Queen’s dresser fears losing her home
Angela Kelly, the late Queen’s confidant, dresser and porter, fears losing her grace-and-favor home post on Sunday reports. Kelly thought she had the house within the Windsor estate for life, but the newspaper said sources believed Kelly would have to vacate her house “within weeks”.
A source told the newspaper: “She has been told that she will have to move out soon. It’s a nice little place on the Windsor Estate and it was handy to see her grandson who was at college nearby. But the king has made it clear that under the new rule people will have to cut their clothes. The king is clearly not used to providing a home to those who no longer work for the monarchy.”
A Palace insider told the newspaper that Kelly had “writing on the wall” after the Queen’s death. “Within a few days, the locks on all the cupboards to which she had keys had been changed.” However, the newspaper says that after Kelly has written two books about her unique position (with the Queen’s permission), her publishing deal includes writing one third one – and who knows what she might say, especially when she’s feeling offended.
Subscribe to Here to get the latest royal news and gossip with Tom Sykes and Tim Teeman.
Plus ca change
As The Daily Beast reported this week, King Charles’ first state visit to France has been canceled after violent unrest erupted across the country in response to French efforts to raise the retirement age from 62 to 64 Engagement has remained in place as the king arrives in Berlin on Wednesday.
In the meantime, palace insiders have briefed this Sunday times This face-to-face encounter with the British monarch is still a hot ticket. A source close to the king said: “World leaders really want to come and meet him. The transition has created an enormous fascination, on a human and geopolitical level, people want to come and hear about it. Many world leaders will be present at his coronation.”
King Charles will go to bed early the day before his coronation, with a self-imposed 6pm curfew. “He doesn’t want to do anything in the evening if it tires him. There will be no party,” a source said telegraph. Unlike his mother, who hosted a huge banquet on the eve of her big day, Charles reportedly imposed a 6pm curfew the night before the coronation. Well, he’s 74 – and she was 26.
Henri Paul’s friends and family defend Diana’s chauffeur
The best friend of Henri Paul, the chauffeur blamed for the car crash that killed both him and Princess Diana, said he still doesn’t believe his friend was drunk on the night of the accident.
Businessman Claude Garrec spoke to MailOnline to defend his former best man after it was revealed Netflix created a replica version of Diana’s post-crash Mercedes as a prop for the show’s new series, which is now filming.
Garrec said: “We were very close. We met three or four times a week. Whatever anyone says, I know they weren’t responsible for the crash. I readily admit that Henri had a reputation as a bon vivant, but he was someone with responsibility. I can’t imagine him getting drunk all night and then driving. If he had taken the wheel, it would be because he knew he could do it, he would not have endangered the lives of others…Henri was made a scapegoat.”
Alain, Henri Paul’s brother, said: “I don’t want to keep seeing the car wrecks where my brother died. It’s inhuman. Once again people are trying to profit from the death of my brother and Princess Diana. I don’t know how you can call this entertainment. For them it’s just business. And since it’s just business to you, you should send me a check. But they won’t. They didn’t even have the decency to let me know.”
This week in royal history
Eight years ago today, a long overdue royal advance: The Succession to the Crown Act (2013) became law and introduced gender-blind succession.
Is Andrew really writing a treacherous treatise, or is he using the threat to do so as useful leverage when his brother King Charles considers evicting him from the Royal Lodge, or is he actually playing a future royal role?
Love The Daily Beast’s royal coverage? Registration Here to receive Royalist newsletters straight to your inbox.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/prince-andrew-wants-to-write-spare-20-reveal-all-memoir Prince Andrew plans to write “Spare 2.0” Reveal-All memoir