Russian commanders pound levees as they grow concerned – Britain

Russian forces have attacked two causeways to delay the advance of Ukrainian forces after growing “increasingly concerned” with Kiev’s counter-offensive, according to British defense officials.

In its daily report, Britain’s Defense Ministry said the Pechenihy Dam in northeast Ukraine was hit twice, on September 21 and 22, as Ukrainian troops continued to attack after leading their Russian opponents around Kharkiv earlier this month.

Separately, on September 15, the Karachunivske Dam in central Ukraine was reportedly hit as Russia attempted to hold the city of Kherson north of the Dnipro River.

The UK briefing said: “On September 21-22, 2022, Russia attacked the Pechenihy Dam on the Siverskyy Donets River with short-range ballistic missiles or similar weapons. This follows a September 15, 2022 attack on the Karachunivske Dam near Krivyy Rih in central Ukraine.

“Ukrainian forces continue to advance downstream along both rivers. As Russian commanders grow concerned about their operational setbacks, they are likely trying to smash the floodgates of levees to flood Ukrainian military crossing points.

“The attacks are unlikely to have caused significant disruption to Ukrainian operations due to the distance between the damaged levees and the combat zones.”

On Friday, Ukraine claimed to have destroyed six Iran-supplied Shahed-136 drones.

Ukraine’s Defense Ministry released a video it claimed shot down one of the six drones and accused Iran of supplying its weapons to support “Russian Nazism and the killing of peaceful citizens”.

Russian forces have attacked two Ukrainian dams
Ukrainian soldiers stand next to a BM-21 “Grad” multiple rocket launcher in eastern Ukraine on September 22, 2022 amid the Russian invasion of Ukraine. Russian forces hit two damned in a bid to stem Ukrainian advance.
JUAN BARRETO/AFP/GETTY

On Wednesday, President Putin announced a partial Russian troop mobilization, with Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu claiming the goal is to recruit 300,000 men with military experience.

The independent Russian-language newspaper Meduza claimed that Putin’s ultimate goal was to recruit an additional 1.2 million soldiers, although this was denied by Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov.

A series of videos posted on social media are said to show Russian conscripts getting drunk, arguing with their officers and in some cases even fighting.

The mobilization has sparked a debate within the EU over whether Russian deserters should be admitted to the bloc as asylum seekers.

On Friday, Lithuanian Foreign Minister Gabrielius Landsbergis said his country would not offer asylum, arguing that Russians unhappy about the war should try to bring down Putin instead.

He tweeted: “Lithuania will not grant asylum to those who simply run away from responsibility. The Russians should stay and fight. Against Putin.”

However, according to Politico, EU Council President Charles Michel took a more liberal line.

In New York he said: “The European Union [should] take in those who are at risk because of their political opinions. If in Russia people are in danger because of their political opinions, because they don’t follow this crazy Kremlin decision to start this war in Ukraine, we have to take that into account.”

Newsweek has reached out to the Russian Foreign Ministry for comment.

https://www.newsweek.com/russian-commanders-striking-dams-increasingly-concerned-uk-mod-1746007 Russian commanders pound levees as they grow concerned – Britain

Rick Schindler

World Time Todays is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – admin@worldtimetodays.com. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button