Local officials in two of Ukraine’s most densely populated areas say Russian forces launched airstrikes on two cities overnight, triggering explosions in Kyiv and Kharkiv.
The governor of the Kyiv region Oleksiy Kuleb and the mayor of Kharkiv Igor Terekhov told Telegram this week about the strikes at the posts. Ukrainian troops drove the Russian military out of every region early in the war. The reported attacks come as Ukraine recently touted successes in continuing to retake occupied lands.
Kuleb said in his post that preliminary reports indicated that Russia would launch “kamikaze drones,” unmanned aerial vehicles loaded with ammunition, from Bila Tserkva early Wednesday morning local time. The attack caused multiple explosions in an area of about 200,000 people an hour south of the capital Kyiv, he said.
Emergency services have been dispatched to the sites of the strikes and authorities are collecting information on damage and casualties, Kuleb said.
“Don’t ignore the alarm signal – get to a shelter immediately,” Kuleb said in the post. “Take care of yourself and your loved ones. The air alert continues!”
Terekhov said in his Telegram post that Russian troops shelled the Cholodnogorsky and Novobavarsky districts in Kharkiv, Ukraine’s second largest city in the north-east of the country.
The shelling hit industrial and infrastructure facilities in the city, Terekhov said. There, too, the authorities are still determining the amount of damage and victims, he said.
At the start of the war, Ukrainian forces repulsed Russian military advances into Kyiv and the surrounding areas. But the city of Kharkiv, home to about 1.4 million people, was captured by Russian forces in March after heavy shelling.
Ukrainian forces have successfully recaptured large parts of north-eastern Ukraine, including most of Kharkiv Region, after a counterattack last month.
Although Ukraine has regained control of the city of Kharkiv, about an hour from the border with Russia, it has still come under fire. Kharkiv regional governor Oleh Syniehubov said in a Telegram post last month that Russian bombs killed two people and wounded five.
Russian Defense Ministry spokesman Lt. Gen. Igor Konashenkov told the state news agency TASS on Tuesday that the military had attacked five Ukrainian army command posts in different parts of the country, including near the city of Kharkiv.
He told the news agency that the strikes targeted “groups of workers” from the 14th and 92nd mechanized brigades of the Ukrainian army, eliminating up to 100 soldiers and 16 pieces of military equipment.
news week has reached out to the Russian Defense Ministry for comment.
https://www.newsweek.com/russians-bomb-kyiv-kharkiv-overnight-airstrikes-ukraine-officials-1748973 Russians bomb Kyiv and Kharkiv in night airstrikes: Ukraine officials