Taiwanese chip magnate pledges cash to fund China’s defense • The Register

A Taiwanese semiconductor magnate is said to provide the money to prepare several million “civilian warriors” and snipers to defend the island nation in the event of an invasion by China.

Robert Tsao, founder of Taiwan’s first semiconductor company, United Microelectronics Corp (UMC), said At a press conference yesterday, he intended to use $32 million of his own money to provide funds for the Kuma Academy, which trains Taiwan’s civilian defense corps.

Tsao said its funds will help train three million people a year, with 60 percent of the money going to train “warriors” of no particular description and the remaining 40 percent to train snipers. Per Bloombergthe funds are part of a larger pool of nearly $1 billion that Tsao has given to the Taiwanese government to protect against China.

in a (n interview Tsao told US government-funded Radio Free Asia last week that the former semiconductor executive is willing to help Taiwan withstand China’s military threat, despite renouncing Taiwanese citizenship in 2011 after settling in Singapore .

As part of his announcement, Tsao also said that he had regained Taiwanese citizenship. “I had to come back; when I tell everyone to be against the CCP (Chinese Communist Party), I can hardly sneak abroad myself.”

While the Guardian said he previously supported the reunification of Taiwan and China, Tsao said his perspective changed after seeing CCP supporters attack pro-democracy supporters in Hong Kong.

“I will be against the CCP. No turning back. I will cut all ties with Hong Kong, Macau and Mainland China,” Tsao told the radio station.

Tsao resigned from his post as chairman of the UMC in 2005, shortly after being accused by Taiwanese authorities illegal investments in China. The allegations led to Tsao and another UMC executive resigning, although both were immediately hired as consultants.

The chip veteran’s latest move comes as tensions between China and Taiwan have risen since US House Speaker Nancy Pelosi visited the island last month.

UMC has distanced itself from Tsao, say after a previous announcement He criticized China’s show of force through military exercises around the island during the visit earlier this month: “Mr Tsao retired from the UMC more than 10 years ago. It has nothing to do with UMC.”

During her visit, Pelosi accused China of cyber attacks on Taiwan and pledged US support for the nation “as it defends itself and its freedom.”

Chinese drills over the past month have escalated tensions, and Taiwanese authorities reported last week that they have shot down a Chinese drone who had flown over Taiwan’s military post on a small island off mainland China.

Taiwan was specifically excluded from a USA-APAC trade agreement Signed earlier this year what could be seen as a concession to China, but US President Joe Biden reiterated at the time that the US had not ruled out military support for Taiwan in the event of a Chinese invasion. ®

https://www.theregister.com/2022/09/02/taiwan_chip_magnate_pledges_cash/ Taiwanese chip magnate pledges cash to fund China’s defense • The Register

Laura Coffey

World Time Todays is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – admin@worldtimetodays.com. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button