On Monday, a federal judge temporarily banned the Biden administration from cutting or removing razor wire installed by Texas officials along the southern border. CBS News reported.
Last week, Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton filed a lawsuit against the government to stop federal agents from illegally cutting and destroying the barriers. Paxton filed the complaint against the Department of Homeland Security, DHS Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas, Customs and Border Protection, acting CBP Commissioner Troy Miller, the Border Patrol, Border Patrol Director Jason Owens and acting Border Patrol Director Juan Bernal.
Paxton accused the Biden administration of “undermining Texas’ efforts to stem the flow of illegal immigration” by repeatedly cutting through the razor wire fence the state strategically erected along the border to “close the gap that passes through.” “The inertia of the federal government has arisen”.
Texas said the federal government has increased its efforts to destroy the barriers in recent months, even after the lawsuit was filed. In a filing Friday, the state accused the Biden administration of using a forklift to remove coils of barbed wire last week Houston Chronicle reported.
Brian Cooney, a staff sergeant with the Texas Department of the Army, issued an affidavit calling the move a “brazen escalation.” According to Cooney, after the barrier was removed, Border Patrol agents helped 310 migrants through the opening.
“This court should immediately issue a preliminary injunction restraining the defendants from continuing to damage, destroy, or otherwise participate in the concertina wire fence in Texas until the court can rule,” the filing states.
DHS declined to comment on Friday’s request, the Houston Chronicle said. However, a spokesman told the medium earlier this week: “Under federal law, Border Patrol agents have the responsibility to detain for processing those who have entered U.S. territory without authorization and to act when conditions exist that require it.” Workers or migrants are at risk.”
U.S. District Court Chief Judge Alisa Moses on Monday blocked the Biden administration from removing, scrapping, dismantling or encumbering barbed wire installed by Texas officials, CBS News reported. Federal officials can still remove the wire to “provide or receive emergency medical assistance.”
The injunction will be in effect for two weeks and a hearing is scheduled for November 7th.
DHS did not respond to a request for comment from CBS News.
“The federal government’s outrageous escalation in response to our lawsuit demonstrates Biden’s disturbing contempt for the state of Texas, for the citizens of the United States, and for our country’s entire rule of law.” Paxton explained. “By acting quickly and closely monitoring their actions, we were able to obtain an injunction, and I am confident we will continue to prevail.”
Do you like Blaze News? Bypass the censorship, sign up for our newsletter and get stories like this delivered straight to your inbox. Login here!