The jackpot for the first Mega Millions draw of the new year is estimated at $785 million, which is the fourth largest jackpot in the game’s history.
Friday’s drawing, valued at $685 million, produced no jackpot winners, although a ticket sold in Ohio won the $1 million second prize.
According to a Mega Millions press release on Saturday, the jackpot eventually grew to over $1 billion in each of the three times the total has surpassed the $700 million mark.
The first Mega Millions billionaire won in October 2018 when a South Carolina player took home a prize of $1.537 billion, according to the publication. This jackpot remains the all-time record in gaming history.
According to List Wire, the largest jackpot in the lottery’s history was a Powerball grand prize won by a player in California in November 2022 and was worth $2.04 billion.
Another Mega Millions player from Des Plaines, Illinois took home a $1.337 billion prize in July 2022, and in January 2021, a player from Oakland County, Michigan took home a $1.05 billion jackpot dollars in the new year.
Other winners from Friday’s drawing include 82 tickets sold across the country matching four white balls plus the Mega Ball, with prizes ranging from $10,000 to $30,000 each. Overall, Friday’s drawing produced 2,776,599 winning tickets with prizes ranging from $2 million to $1 million.
According to Mega Millions, there have been 22 draws since the last jackpot was won in October. This grand prize totaled $502 million and was shared between two players – one in San Jose, California and one in Fort Myers, Florida.
Here are the six Mega Millions jackpots won in 2022:
- 10/14/2022 – $502 million (California and Florida)
- 7/29/2022 – $1.337 billion (Illinois)
- 04/15/2022 – $20 million (Tennessee)
- 04/12/2022 – $106 million (Minnesota)
- 03/08/2022 – $126 million (New York)
- 01/28/2022 – $421 million (California)
Here are the six Mega Millions jackpots won in 2021:
- 10/22/2021 – $108 million (Arizona)
- 09/21/2021 – $432 million (New York)
- 06/08/2021 – $56 million (Illinois)
- 05/21/2021 – $516 million (Pennsylvania)
- 02/16/2021 – $96 million (New York)
- 01/22/2021 – $1.05 billion (Michigan)
Mega Millions is a multi-state lottery that runs draws every Tuesday and Friday night at 11pm ET. Tickets for Tuesday’s drawing are available until 10:45 p.m. ET at participating locations and sell for $2 per line. The probability of winning the jackpot with a Mega Millions ticket is one in 303 million.
For more information about Mega Millions or to check your past numbers, visit the website.
Here are the top 10 Mega Millions jackpot wins so far:
- $1.537 billion – October 2018 (South Carolina)
- $1.337 billion – July 2022 (Illinois)
- $1.050 billion – January 2021 (Michigan)
- $785 million – Current jackpot
- $656 million – March 2012 (Illinois, Kansas and Maryland)
- $648 million – December 2013 (California and Georgia)
- $543 million – July 2018 (California)
- $536 million – July 2016 (Indiana)
- $533 million – March 2018 (New Jersey)
- $522 million – June 2019 (California)
https://www.newsweek.com/mega-millions-lottery-fourth-largest-jackpot-games-history-1770752 The Mega Millions lottery climbs to the fourth largest jackpot in the game’s history