A trio reportedly attempted to break into a Florida home in the middle of the day late last week but were mowed down by the armed homeowner – one of them was fatally shot and another was injured, while the third was captured shortly after escaping.
What are the details?
Three people attempted to break into a home in the Hickory Hill Drive area of Port Richey around 2:10 p.m. Friday. WTSP-TV reportedciting the Pasco County Sheriff’s Office.
But the homeowner opened fire on the three people before they had fully entered the home, officials told the station.
Deputies added that one of the suspects who was shot reportedly died at the scene, WTSP reported, adding that another suspect was injured, arrested and taken to a hospital.
The third person was also arrested after officers conducted a brief search, the sheriff’s office told the station.
More from WTSP:
Several schools in the area were reportedly placed on controlled campus status “out of an abundance of caution” following the attempted break-in. As the investigation continues, Fox Hollow Elementary, Jazz Dayspring Academy and Schrader Elementary remain on alert.
The investigation is active and ongoing, the station added.
How do people react?
Commenters under the Sheriff’s Office Facebook post about the incident seemed happy with the outcome:
- “Don’t try my house because I won’t miss it,” one commenter said.
- “It’s right on our street,” said another user. “Good for them [homeowner who] took care of the criminals who broke in. Play stupid games, win stupid awards.”
- “Literally seven houses away from me…helicopters and cops everywhere,” another commenter noted.
- “Score another hit for the good guys,” said another user.
- “Crazy shit in the middle of the day,” another commenter remarked.
- “Citizens, keep your firearms close,” another user said, adding, “We must defend ourselves… AR-15s, handguns, maces and.” [a] good camera and alarm system. Because Pasco is out of control and we let it happen!”
Do you like Blaze News? Bypass the censorship, sign up for our newsletter and get stories like this delivered straight to your inbox. Login here!