Russell Brand has been blocked from making money on YouTube because the company violated its copyright policies.
The lawsuit follows a joint investigation by The Sunday Times, The times and Channel 4 broadcastswhich reported allegations of sexual assault by four women against the comedian and content creator.
According to the BBC, YouTube is blocking advertising revenue for Brand to “protect” its users. “If a YouTuber’s off-platform behavior harms our users, employees or ecosystem, we take action,” a YouTube spokesperson said Tuesday.
Beyond Brand’s main YouTube channel, which has 6.6 million YouTube subscribers, the Google-owned company said its decision “applies to all channels that may be owned or operated by Russell Brand.” “become”, including Stay Free with Russell Brand, Awakening with RussellAnd Football is beautifulwho have a combined total of over 468,000 subscribers.
Mashable reached out to YouTube for further comment. YouTube responded by confirming that Brand had been banned from the YouTube Partner Program. A spokesperson said: “Our Creator Responsibility Policy clearly states that if a creator’s off-platform behavior harms our users, employees or ecosystem, we may take action to protect our community, including by suspending the creator Monetization. While these behaviors are rare, they can cause widespread harm to the YouTube community and potentially damage trust between creators, users and advertisers.”
They added that this is consistent with the way the company has handled certain situations in the past, citing the temporary demonetization of the respective accounts of David Dobrik and James Charles (both of whom have since made a comeback on the platform ). According to YouTube, creators who are banned from monetization are “prohibited from using a new or alternative channel to circumvent our enforcement decision.”
Even after #MeToo, research shows “alarming” attitudes toward consent and sexual assault
The comedian keeps going Bipolarization The tour was also postponed due to the allegations.
The brand embarked on a career in online wellness and influencer around the time of the pandemic, gaining millions of subscribers along the way. Its content ranged from spirituality and wellness to conspiracy theories, anti-establishment messages and interviews with people like Tucker Carlson and Joe Rogan. For example, in September 2021, he shared information about how to avoid COVID-19 safety measures and was accused of spreading anti-vaxx messages and misinformation.
Brand still maintains a presence on Rumble, an “alternative” video platform that has become popular among right-wing conservatives and conspiracy theorists.
On Friday evening, before JustAfter the investigation was made public, Brand reached out to Rumble and Brand has denied all allegations.
UPDATE: September 19, 2023, 11:59 a.m. EDT Inserted comment from YouTube.